Dorris Heffron Confers With Sled Dog Task Force
February 16, 2011—Dorris Heffron is participating today in hearings of the British Columbia Task Force looking into the slaughter of a hundred sled dogs at Whistler, B.C.
Author of City Wolves, Heffron is highly regarded for her knowledge of sled dogs. Last week she was invited to add her authoritative voice to the public consultations being conducted by the task force. Earlier this month, Heffron spoke of “the shame” hanging over the despicable slaughter of the healthy, highly trained, and intelligent animals.The killings, carried out after the 2010 Winter Olympics, only came to light this year. The dog sledding company which owned the animals said they were no longer needed. The B.C. Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and the RCMP, are investigating. At the same time, the government task force, which is chaired by Dr. Terry Lake, a doctor of veterinary medicine and member of the British Columbia legislature, is reviewing what happened and will soon report with recommendations.
Read full article
- Author Cheryl Cooper Powerfully Drawn to Write
- Vladimir Nabokov and Blue Butterflies
- Dynamic Universe
- How "open" should Canadian books and publishing be?
- CBC interview highlights author Dan Dowhal’s warning in book skyfisher
- Author Cheryl Cooper meets a captive audience
- Author Douglas Bland brings hard edge to First Nations issues
- Growth of eBook sales coincides with rise of world’s first internet religion